History has three parts in total, ancient, medieval and modern India.
For getting a general understanding of the Indian history from ancient to medieval, the NCERT books (Class XI and XII) can give a good start.
Modern Indian History has to be covered extensively, both for prelims and mains. For the ancient and medieval history, only a set of aspects (and related eminent persons) are being tested generally, which are:
- Arts: Art, Drama, Music and Dance
- Culture (Indus valley civilization, Vedic Culture, Buddhism, Jainism, Hinduism (and Parsi), Islam and Christianity)
- You can refer following books for more reading (same books would be relevant for GS Mains Paper I preparation):
Ancient and Medieval India, NCERT Class XI
Modern India, NCERT Class XII
Spectrum publications (Three books, each on Modern India, Indian Culture and Indian Persons)
- Apart from knowing just the books for reading, you also need to know (and practice) what sources are there for solving questions. Some of the possible options I could find are as below:
Arihant Publications: Modern History (Multiple Choice questions)
TMH (Multiple Choice Questions)
All the previous papers (for History questions)
- In fact, for history, it is better to solve questions than reading endlessly. This is one good way to remember more from history, especially.
If you like the article, please leave a comment and share this article on social media.